Retirement is not a Cruelty but a Gift of Love

The dog in this picture is not Courtney.
Press the link to see the video about Courtney.
http://video.kxly.com/watch.php?id=32646
I have faced the same dilemma that many pet owners have faced in the past, when their dog has grown older and their health has failed, of making that difficult decision of what is best for my dog compared to what is best for me. More than once I've had to make that difficult choice to let a companion go because that was what was best for them, but my heart was broken and my tears flowed for days or even months afterwards. Even today, thinking of that moment when I may have to make that choice for Max clinches my gut and brings tears to my eyes. But the love that Max has shown me and the love that I have received by previous pets deserves my strength to let them go when the time is right.

The difference between Max and my previous pets is that Max is more than a pet. Max is my partner, my traveling companion, my lifeline to independence and my heart dog. As much as I loved my other pets, Max has wheedled and woven his way into my very soul. His quiet presence, goofy looks, insatiable desire to play and insatiable desire to help me with his constant companionship has forged a bond between us that I've never had from any previous dog.

He has an undeniable desire to be with me, to follow me, to know where I'm at all times and I've grown used to the sound of his breathing or the pad of his feet wherever I go. The rare times that I've gone into public without him I feel incomplete. It is this sense of him being another part of me, an extension of who I am, that causes a tightening of my gut and tears in my eyes when I even think of his time of retirement. It is also that sensation that leads me to understand how other service dog owners would find it difficult to retire their current dog.

Recently a story in Spokane was published about a young woman with her guide dog. The dog, Courtney, is approximately 12 years of age and arthritic with a torn ACL. A local news station shot video of this dog while she was working in harness and a great sadness washed over me. Courtney struggled to stand and couldn't put weight on her back leg and at one point in the video the woman had to stop to allow Courtney to rest after only walking approximately half a block. As much as this woman loves Courtney what is best for Courtney would be retirement and have her leg repaired.

Retirement is not cruel. I have heard many people state that they wished a loved one could have retired when they could still enjoy life. Why then would we ask our best friend, companion and aide to work until they die? They too are a loved one and should enjoy retirement when they can.

Most big programs require that the service dog they place retire between the ages of eight and ten, with the most common age being nine. This is to allow the dog to enjoy the last years of his life as a dog. He has earned that right.

Dogs age faster than we do, but like humans they require more sleep in their geriatric years and feel more pain due to joint changes. A healthy adult dog sleeps an average of 14 to 16 hours a day; a geriatric dog can sleep up to 20 hours a day. Dogs used for mobility or guide work tend towards early arthritic changes due to pulling while in harness. With an average life expectancy for a German Shepherd, Labrador retriever, or Golden retriever being between 10 and 12 years of age it is important to remember that by the age of nine they have already lived most of their life.

The stress of working as a service dog tends to shorten a service dog's life. Health changes such as hearing and vision loss also occur in their geriatric years. Cancer, another common killer of service dogs, is more prevalent in their geriatric years as well. It is highly stressful for a dog with low vision or difficulty with hearing to continue working in public. Planning their retirement is not cruel but a kindness we give them as her body begins to fail and their need for rest increases.

The problem is that as humans we generally tend toward anthropomorphism with our pets. This giving an animal human emotions or responses our thought processes when they do not have them leads us to believing that we can hurt an animal's feelings by our very absence. As much as our service dogs love us, they will not be hurt, jealous or spiteful if we retire them. That is a reflection of our own emotions in regards to our service dog.

As much as Max enjoys being with me, I intend to retire him between the ages of eight and nine. Long before this deep and personal attachment occurred between us I already made that plan, understanding that Max needed the end of his life to be just a dog. But still, even with that rational understanding of his need for retirement, it brings tears to my eyes to think of that day coming.

In the video that I watched I could see that Courtney and her handler love each other very much. Courtney has devoted over 90% of her life to this woman and is willing to continue to devote the remainder of her life if asked. It is us humans who must let the dog know it has done its job and it can now rest. My sadness is for Courtney, her arthritic gate and injured leg tells me that she is willing to work through any pain to please her handler.

Whether you receive a service dog from a large program or train one yourself, planning the dog's retirement is important. It prepares you emotionally and allows you to properly assess your dog and determine if he has given enough of his very short lifespan to aiding you. Whether it's a pet or service dog, recognizing when a loved animal needs to be let go or allowed to slow down is important. It is our job to protect them and love them or free them as our final act of love.

My love for Max has allowed me to see and recognize there'll be a time when he needs to retire. It has allowed me to see that this is not a cruelty, but an act of love which allows him to be a dog. Though the next dog that will assist me will not be my Max, we too will forge a partnership of trust, respect and most of all love. It will also allow Max to enjoy his golden years as a loved pet.

Update: The news station that aired the story about Courtney has announced that an overwhelming number of people called a local veterinarian and donated money for her surgery. The required amount to repair her ACL has been collected and Courtney will receive her surgery. I am heartened that such an outpouring of love and understanding occurred during this holiday season.